Raw vegetable salad is a recipe was adapted from The Detox Salad recipe at Whole Foods Market. It’s a really nice combination of crunchy flavors and can be modified in just about any way you like, with more of less of the ingredients depending on your preference.
I like to make the full batch of this (more than just a serving for one) because it keeps really well in the refrigerator and is a nice, light refreshing raw salad to have on hand for meals throughout the week (keep dressing separate until ready to serve). If you have a food processor, this salad comes together in just minutes. If not, you can simply chop it finely by hand, just make sure all the vegetables are roughly the same size when you’re done.
A blast of colourful raw vegetables and a simple salad dressing, come together in this tasty and nourishing vegetable salad bowl. Gluten free and vegan, this salad will make a great side to any meal but I devour this beautiful rainbow for a full meal.
Since there is no cooking involved, it takes just about 10 minutes to chop all the salad vegetables and put it together. The vegan salad dressing is the easiest – just shake everything together in a jar or whisk in a bowl.
This colourful salad is like eating a rainbow. The different salad vegetables not only bring in colours but also a lot of different types of vitamins and minerals. Plus there is lots of water and healthy fibre content. The greens are great detoxifying vegetables, the purples are rich in anti-oxidants, the reds promote blood circulation, the orange fights cancer and the whites promote heart health.
- 1/2 head broccoli, stems removed and chopped
- 1/2 head cauliflower, stems removed and chopped
- 1 small carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup whole almonds
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, or to taste
- 1/2 cup raisins, or to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley, optional
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Juice from 1/2-1 lemon
- 1-2 teaspoons honey
How to Prepare a Raw vegetable salad
- In a food processor (or by hand), add broccoli and pulse until nicely chopped and uniform in size. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Add cauliflower to food processor and pulse until nicely chopped and uniform in size. Transfer to a bowl with broccoli.
- Add carrot and pulse until nicely chopped and uniform in size. Transfer to bowl with broccoli and cauliflower. Toss vegetables together to combine.
- To bowl of food processor, add almonds and pulse until nicely chopped and uniform in size. Transfer to bowl of vegetables and combine along with sunflower seeds and raisins and parsley (if using). Season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine lemon juice and honey to taste, adjusting amount to your preference (if too tart stir in a bit more honey). Add dressing to salad just before serving, and toss well to coat evenly. Serve chilled or at room temperature.