10 health benefits of kale, Kale may not be the first thing that you typically grab at the grocery store but because it’s such a nutritional powerhouse, I really recommend you give it a try if you’re not that familiar with it.
Packed with nutrients, fiber and loads of vitamins, kale is a really versatile ingredient that works great in soups, hummus, as a substitute for basil in a pesto or simply sautéed with olive oil, garlic and a few red pepper flakes.
It’s in season during the winter months, from November until March. When buying kale, look for sturdy leaves that are.
Do not to wash it before you store it because any exposure to water will make it spoil much faster.
10 health benefits of kale.
1. high in antioxidants: kale is a high in both carotenoids and flavonoids, two powerful antioxidants that protect our cells from free radicals.
2. low in calories
One cup of kale has only 36 calories and 0 grams of fat.
3. high in vitamin A: One cup of kale helps boost immunity, maintain healthy bones and teeth, prevent urinary stones .
4. high in vitamin C: One cup of kale heartily provides over 88% of our RDA of vitamin C, which ensures a healthy immune system.
5. high in vitamin K: One cup of kale provides a huge dose of vitamin K, which is necessary for the synthesis of osteocalcin, a protein that strengthens the composition of our bones.
6. anti-inflammatory: One cup of kale provides about 10% of the RDA of omega-3 fatty acids that helps regulate the body’s inflammatory process.
7. cancer:Kale also provides glucosinolates, which have been shown to prevent many forms of cancer including colon, breast, bladder.
8. cardiovascular support:The high fiber content of kale lowers cholesterol by binding with bile acids that the liver produces from cholesterol.
9. detox: The isothiocyanates (ITC) from glucosinolates found in kale aid in the body’s detoxification process.
10. digestion: One cup of kale contains 20% of the RDA of dietary fiber, which promotes regular digestion, prevents constipation.