The popular Russian salad is a potato and vegetable salad garnished with mayonnaise, it can be used as a garnish or topping for many traditional Latin American dishes. His name really does have a connection with the Soviet country. On holidays in Russia, Russians prepare this salad. Possibly its origin is Russian, although history reflects that it became very popular in France.
This simple potato salad is excellent for picnics and is a perfect side dish to accompany main dishes, especially barbecued or grilled meat. There are different variations to the Russian salad recipe, sometimes without potatoes. One of the best known is: potatoes, peas, carrots, apples, celery and mayonnaise.
A secret that can improve its flavor is to add a little lemon juice, very small chopped or grated onion and garlic to give a little more flavor to the dressing. If you add mustard to this mix the flavor is from another world.
There are diners who prefer this salad without apples, if you like the contrasts of texture and sweet taste, we recommend adding apples. Other vegetables that can also be included in this salad are green beans, sweet corn, and beets. Some people also add a hard-boiled egg, chopped into wheels or cubes, as part of the salad and also for garnish. Shredded chicken or hen can also be added, in this case the chicken salad in Venezuela was baptized as chicken salad.
This salad is one of our favorites, if you enjoy fresh vegetables, we recommend preparing this delicious dish.
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
- 3 medium potatoes
- 1 beet
- 2 carrots
- ½ cup peas (optional)
- 1 tablespoon onion grated or finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon mustard
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 pinch of coriander
- The first thing you should do is put a liter and a half of water to boil.
- Add the potatoes, beets and carrots to the water until they are cooked al dente, not too soft. There are people who cook each vegetable separately, but that is already up to everyone’s taste.
- Remove the vegetables from the hot water and wait until they are cold to peel them.
- Cut the potatoes, carrots and beets into small cubes and then reserve in a container.
- For the dressing Add the tablespoon of onion and salt in a container. Then add the mustard, mayonnaise and coriander.
- To assemble, pour the dressing over the vegetables gently to retain their shape and not puree. Check that they are well salted and reserve in the fridge to later serve.
Curiosities of the Russian salad
One of the variations of the Russian salad in Venezuela is that some omit the beet and incorporate boiled egg. In this case the vegetables are chopped in wheels and not in cubes. For a better presentation it is served on a bed of lettuce.
Another delicious variation on this salad is to add a can of tuna. The recipe changes in a particular way and its flavor is delicious.
We hope you enjoy this delicious salad very much and tell us in the comments how it went.