Meatball soup is a classic of Mexican cuisine, there are different ways to make this delicious recipe. The one that we present below is one of the easiest and one that I and my family like a lot. We will make this meatball soup cooked in a tomato and coriander broth. This is a very easy and simple process with common ingredients that will result in an extraordinary meatball soup.
In almost any Mexican restaurant it is common to have this soup on the menu. A very nutritious and delicious lunch that workers eat at noon. Housewives use this recipe a lot when they have ground meat in their refrigerators. Some Mexican families add rice to the ground beef mixture, or add vegetables to the broth while they cook the meatballs. In case you don’t want to use coriander, peppermint is a very good option. If you want to take this recipe to another level you can mix half beef and half pork for an incredible flavor.
What we like about this recipe is that it is a way to eat a lot of vegetables. Use your favorite vegetables, or the ones your family likes the most. There are people who add egg and breadcrumbs to the meatballs to make them more consistent. The preparation is still delicious, it is only a matter of taste.
Preparation: 25 min
Cooking: 30 min
• 500 gr ground beef
• ¼ teaspoon cumin
• ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
• ¼ teaspoon onion powder
• 1 teaspoon salt
• ¼ teaspoon pepper
• 1 tablespoon minced mint, spearmint, or parsley
• 4 tomatoes
• 1 small piece of onion can be ¼
• 2 cloves of garlic
• 1 cup of water
• Salt and pepper
• 1 ½ liter beef broth
• 1 large zucchini in squares
• 1 large carrot in squares
• 1 small chayota in squares
• Chopped cilantro (for garnish)
• Lemons (when serving)
1. Place all the ingredients for the meatballs in a bowl and have them all incorporated by kneading with your hands. If you use egg, breadcrumbs or rice, you must add them at this time.
2. When all the ingredients are incorporated and you have a firm dough, make small balls, you should get about 20 small meatballs.
1. Chop the tomatoes and add them to a blender or food processor, along with the onion, garlic, water, salt, and pepper.
2. In a large pot add what you obtained when blending and sew over medium heat for about 2 to 3 minutes. Wait for the sofrito to get a darker color. If you want you can add a little oil.
1. In a bowl, combine the tomato sauce and the beef broth. If you do not have beef broth you can use water, the flavor will be less intense.
2. Cook this mixture to a boil, then lower the heat and add the meatballs to this broth, being very careful to avoid breaking them. If it is boiling, do not add the meatballs because they will fall apart.
3. After placing all the meatballs, stir gently. Now add the chayota, the carrot and the coriander.
4. Cover the saucepan and lower over medium heat. Cook for 15 minutes
5. Finally, add the zucchini and cook for 3 to 5 more minutes.
6. Add pepper, correct the salt levels and serve hot.
As I mentioned before, there are recipes where you add eggs, breadcrumbs or rice to the meatballs. This to make them firmer, regularly without these ingredients they tend to be juicier. The aforementioned is to everyone’s taste. In both ways you will get a delicious dish