sloppy joe is no need to make these from a package when they are so quick and easy to make from scratch. The thick, creamy ketchup sauce coats the meat perfectly whether you use beef or make them a bit healthier by using ground turkey.
Sloppy Joe is a hot sandwich that is served in the United States and consists of minced beef (usually finely shredded) seasoned with various sauces such as tomato sauce or barbecue sauce.
The name “sloppy” comes from the fact that eating this sandwich often spills the meat. Sometimes so that this does not happen, it is usually served in the form of a “toast” or one-sided open sandwich. A Sloppy Joe served without bread is often referred to as a saucy beefeater, a reference to beefeaters.
Sloppy joe Ingredients
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 yellow onion, minced
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- a teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 whole-wheat hamburger roll, split
How Prepare It
- In sauté pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add ground beef, breaking up a bit into some smaller pieces, and cook for another 7 minutes, until beef is browned. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add ketchup, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and brown sugar and stir to combine. Simmer until mixture thickens, 7-10 minutes. Spoon over hamburger bun and serve immediately.